Sunday, June 28, 2015

What you seek, has trapped you.


I finished reading 'The Seeker' by Karan Bajaj. The book is about a man's quest to discover the cause of all pain and misery. His journey is so intense and so long that I cant help but recollect a woman's words, casually spoken about kundalini by her in an attempt to awe me, 'and I went into samadhi while I was watching Aastha channel. I went into a deep tunnel and I dont know for how long I was in there.. here right here I was sitting on the bed and it happened", as I looked on, appalled at listening to the words uttered by her so casually, she non chalantly added, 'my kundalini has been awakened."

All the while she was narrating what she thought was kundalini awakening, her husband egged her on, nodding in agreement and finishing all her sentences as if he knew exactly how it felt when the kundalini awakens when in reality he is far more materialistic than materialism itself and lacks total sense of control over his tongue and eyes, leave aside the kundalini.


This woman, head of a dysfunctional family, a self-proclaimed spiritual goddess who enjoys a cult like following within her elite circle and her family, had spoken of 'kundalini awakening' without practising a single yogasan or pranayam ever in her life. Listening to her talk about something so profound so casually, my heart broke. And this wasn't the first time she had been on this jaunt. She enjoyed narrating her own stories of healing and the numerous magical powers only she was blessed with, immensely and regardless of whether anyone else did. So when I heard her talk on the subject, I went deep into my shell, avoiding all spiritual talks because she had reduced it to a frivolous ego-massaging activity.


I couldn't help but notice that she was a complete contrast of what a real yogi is. fragile, the kind who couldn't go out in the sun without her gucci glasses and sunscreen, the kind who applied dermatologist recommended anti-aging creams every night before going to sleep, the kind who couldn't poo in a public toilet, the kind who went to kitty parties, spent hours on the phone, was covered from head to toe in diamonds and bought more every month on emi's and despite all of this claimed she was simple, down-to-earth and detached.

She was the kind of a woman who was more materialistic than materialism itself, the one whose sense of 'I-ness' was buried under the million layers dominated by her sense of 'me-ness'. And yet, she basked in the glory of her pseudo-spirituality.

I couldn't stop feeling agitated by her utter disrespect for the very science yogis spent a lifetime understanding and absolute audacity with which she claimed she had mastery over all. But something in the book that I read today answered questions that have haunted me for sometime now; aren't such people ever jolted back to reality? Do they continue to bask in their pseudo-glory forever? doesn't nature have a way of getting back to them? And the answer is that the nature is, even as I write this and way before I knew her because the world is a result of cause and effect. as you sow, sow you reap. Want followers, will get followers. Want appreciation, will get appreciation. Want ego pampering, will get only that. The cycle never breaks and the person in the cycle is never going to be free.

That woman, who believes herself to be a divine and enlightened being, is living in her own bubble, thinking she is making progress when all that she is doing is going round and round in the same direction. Worse is, she isn't even aware of it and even worse is she might never find out. and this is how nature has gotten back to her. By letting her live in the make-belief world of healing powers she owns when all that she is doing is fooling the spiritually clueless who surround her. She is nothing but just another face in the sea of faces, who are stuck in the cycle of cause and effect and are unlikely to break it anytime soon.

It is said, spiritual ego is worse than that of a person who has never been on this path. and this one here, is a living example of it.

God bless her.

'Better than ruling this world,
Better than attaining the realms of God,
Better than being lord of all the worlds,
is one step taken on the path to nirvana.'

dhammapad, chapter 13


No comments:

Missing : Mothership

No one warned me that being an immigrant meant being stuck in time.  My life is anything but simple. But my life has hardly ever been what i...