Saturday, February 13, 2010

Courtesy tvmtalkies.. and my wandering mind :P

More than a decade back dad wrote a school essay for me. It was on religion. The opening para was something like this 'The religion of fire is to burn, the religion of ice is to freeze. Religion is not Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Christian. These are all sects and what we believe is religion but sect ism'.

A decade later I came across something which reflects a very open mindset about a very sensitive topic of religion. Its a short piece. Precise. Apt. To-the-point. Everything my type. More importantly it talks about religion the way I was taught to look at it. Thats why its here. Read on.

Jeevan without Religion

The lesson is set in a school room where two parents and their kid meet the Principal for school admission. The Principal fills in the forms,

Principal: “What is your name?”
“Jeevan”
Principal: “Nice…father’s name?”
“Anwar Rasheed”
Principal: Mother’s name?”
“Lakshmi Devi”

The Principal looks at the parents

Principal: “What should I fill in for the kid’s religion?”
Parents : “Keep it blank…or else add No Religion”

Principal: “Caste”
Parents : “not needed”

The Principal leans back on his chair and asks solemnly

Principal: “What if he wants a religion when he grows up?”
Parents : “If he wants a religion when he grows up, he can choose the one he likes then”

End of Lesson

- Excerpt from class 7 Social Studies textbook from a school in Kerala.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

chhota packet bada dhamaka....i too think exactly the same way...there is no meaning of religion...

Samir said...

I usually dont get into discussions involving religion n other related issues coz my views would mostly label me as an atheist.. well, if belief in a particular religion is the only way to be a 'believer', i prefer to be called an atheist. And i ve had quite a few unpleasant exeriences coz of my 'religion'. Some i prefer not to recollect. But this particular one amused me more than enraged me for a change..
I was in 12th, had just shifted from abad to bangalore, n had managed to make a cpl of good acquaintances in my class. Now there was an ind v/s pak cricket match the previous evening, and unfortunately, india had lost the match. So the next day i reach college, and this guy with whom i was a bit friendly starts discussing the match with me.. And all of a sudden asks me,"U wud be pretty happy that pak won yesterday, right?" I was taken aback a bit, yet, i managed to admonish him,"of course not. Wat nonsense are u talkin man?!" Later, i asked him why did he think so. To which he said," Coz u are a muslim na, and most muslims support pak." I was shell shocked then to think of any proper reply, but now wen i look back, i am pretty amused at the prejudices and preconceived notions people have. I still dont know wat made him think that all muslims support pak, and never bothered to ask him too. :)

Anonymous said...

..religion is what your heart follows, not what you want other people to know what you follow...

Anonymous said...

..Hey Nidhi, keep writing, you cannot give such a long gap to your fans, haan !! waiting for newer, better, posts. xx

Anonymous said...

Human Religion is to serve others, a Candle burns to show light, water freezes so that we dont fight, Sheep gets slaughtered so that it can be eaten away and the only religion says, Serve them cause that is the only way :)

First to your family and then to your friends and then get on the whole world and say it never ends, This world is your and you shall care for it, never to point out wrong rather than to improve it. They way you speak and the way you smile can make a million wonder whats the next line :)

Missing : Mothership

No one warned me that being an immigrant meant being stuck in time.  My life is anything but simple. But my life has hardly ever been what i...