Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I am not among those who remember God only during exams. I know he is smart enough to know that am a selfish jerk. So I don't generally pester him, neither say 'Hey bhagwan pass kar dena mujhe.' I am a smart virgo and I hardly pray for myself. My prayers talk about welfare of my family and world on the whole. And during the worst hours(Read exams and similar stuff) my prayers don't change much.

For sometime now I have been worried about the world. I feel it is better to wake up right now and act towards making this planet worth living on than to watch everything crumble around us. But when I see development the rate at which it is taking place it gives me the creeps. I used to love Ahmedabad once upon a time for it is a kind of place which is modern yet laid back. Its the last five years that my city has transformed from a innocent school girl into a prom queen. It has become so crowded and so polluted that it disturbs to see the nicety vanishing from here. Maybe it has too many flyovers, malls, restaurants, maybe the government has plans to make it a metro, maybe we are part of the fastest growing state of India, I feel the spirit of the place is diminishing. Everything that was unique to Ahmedabad seems to have dissolved in the luminous lights of the neons. And I mention Ahmedabad because it is my hometown, the city I dearly love. The skeleton is still the same but it is adorned so heavily I fear it'd suffocate under its own baggage. It is becoming one of the several cities in the world which have tonnes and tonnes of electricity consumption, millions of meters of clothes used in shops, gunny bags after gunny bags that build the infrastructures, million barrels of petrol on which run zillion vehicles everyday, every other hour of the day! It is like we are deliberately ripping places off their originality to make them look like something else and in this race we are ending up making everything look the same. And that is sad. That is creativity wasted.

I think the world needs a makeover. The basic thought process needs air brushing. Kids need to take the lead. Schools need to revise their courses in order to prepare young ones to be able to tackle what they'll face when they grow up, which I believe is going to be more spiritless than it is now. Fields of employment need up gradation. Include farming and other such jobs in the list. Infact promote them as the hottest jobs right away or by the time we'd need them we'll only find engineers and doctors around. :D And one platinum suggestion - Instead of buying land for building more malls and hotels, but lands to grow trees. Yeah, food for thought for the organisations; why don't they invest money in fertile land and then grow trees and food on it? It'd save each country from spending money after there representatives in summits where all they do is talk and create more tension?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is really a good one written. Even I believe same for other cities. The way my city used to be is just I can imagine in my mind. I can bet our traditional bazaar's are far better then these malls. In future these all will only be in the text books. Every one needs to WAKE UP and save our Heritage.

Samir said...

adding to wat u wrote, perhaps they should also start a new degree on the lines of MBA for farming, n i m sure a lot of harried souls in medicine n engg would be interested. Or better still, legalize farmville and make it compulsory for every1 to play it..:P

By the way, any plans of running for the govt? :D

Unknown said...

these problems have been here since last 3-4 years but its just that people are now realising that they are doing nthing but ruining their own city...ahmedabad is one of the most polluted cities in india...n there would be many more who think the same but nothing will happen by just thinking...it requires youngsters to take charge and do what they think is right...varna kuch bhi hone se raha...and keeping in mind the age of our ministers hgya kalyan india ka...last time jo elections hue usme average age of ministers was arnd 58...retirement lene k badle duniya country chalane chale hain...in the next 10 years i see ahmedabad as the next mumbai of india...

vijay assudani said...

Couldn't agree with you more Nidhi. I love Ahmedabad. Having spent decent amount of time in other cities of India as well, I can easily say that Ahmedabad is the most 'chilled out' place that one can find in India. But the frentic place at which this city is developing, puzzels me whether to be happy about it or feel sad. I sincerely hope that this city preserves its spirit during this transformation. Nice blog Nidhi. And nice blog design as well. Cheers !

nidhi said...

Thanks Vijay for stopping by.

nidhi said...

Thanks Vijay for stopping by.

Missing : Mothership

No one warned me that being an immigrant meant being stuck in time.  My life is anything but simple. But my life has hardly ever been what i...