Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Whole new developments!!!

I am again questioning the basics of life. The very essence on which I have shaped my lifestyle. The things I worry about pertain to my work and the deadlines. I do not think of 'what to cook' before going to sleep. But someone in my house does and probably that is why I am able to worry about other stuff. Some thing happened today which has made me wonder.. has made me more tolerant of others. The last full month has been bad for my badi mummy. The house maid left without notice and the new one is quite irregular. Finding a new kaamwali is a problem according to badi mum. And until she finds one she has to do more than her normal chores which would mean going up and down the house sweeping and mopping the floor. She cannot bend because she has arthritis. My granny wont do it because badi mum wont let her. I help in the general cleaning and dusting but I sometimes forget to even do that!  So basically badi mummy is left at the mercy of the house maid. It sounds alright when I write this but it irritates me when I see her being so much dependent on one li'l girl. Every time I come home the topic of discussion is maid. Badi ma worries whether she'd come or not. And the new made is so useless she has not turned up since day before. I reckon badi ma took it as a mission to go find her old reliable maid. She located her somehow and cajoled her into coming to our house. Today morning when I was getting ready to leave  I saw the same worry on her face. I wanted to express my annoyance on that but I refrained. When I was finally leaving she came to me hesitantly and said 'Mujhe le jayegi daksha ke ghar par, shilpa wahan aati hai. Sirf chod aa, khud chal ke aa jaungi.'  As I drove her to Daksha's I realized despite her helplessness she first gave importance to my work. Despite her aching knees she dint expect me to understand. She could have asked me to stay back home and help her in the chores but she has never ever done that. Neither her nor my granny have ever stopped me or imposed anything on me. I reckon they are the ones who are progressive. Who have changed their mindsets with their kids and their kid's kids. 

Yes they worry about things which you and people my age would consider menial and unimportant. But if then their world wasn't restricted to those basics would I be able to dream and aspire? No, I guess not and incidences like these help me stay grounded. 

I have a few other things to write here. The first one is a realization. I ain't overtly ambitious, but I am career-oriented. I would love to work all throughout my life but I won't do it at the cost of basics of life(Read home, family and a normal social life).

The second is that I have started playing lawn tennis. Why I started it, I don't know. But I am sure it is good for me because I dint plan and do it. I am enjoying it and I know I will continue playing it.

And lastly my new job which is damn challenging! Content gathering is not so much fun as much as conceptualising an idea is. By Jan end I'd see all my ideas and content come together in an iPhone app. With the kind of work we are doing, I am already contemplating about how well it will be received in the market. I am optimistic about this product. I wish it is a 'staff favorite' atleast. After all we are a start up and me and my colleague spend a lot of time discussing work and where our new app ideas can take us. Trust me work is serious fun especially when two minds share the same passion and progressive fundamentals.  

8 comments:

Nitin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nitin said...

…the sight of our parents becoming old hits you the hardest… the mom who ran around the house, at 7 am, to look for your school shoes, socks,demanding lunch box, ironing the school dress, that 'interfering cup' of morning tea for dad and all other daily chores… but she wont be the same all life although we want her to be the same person as she was when you were in school, but she's not.

..in today fast life, we cannot do much… reorganizing your life little bit can help… we always want to see our parents, young, active and alert, unfortunately that doesn’t happen…

.. you think about them... god bless you..

Nitin said...

.. hey..we have a 'Maria Sherapova' in the making here..

..there are teething problems in any new venture...but that phase has to pass by... continue the good work..

Unknown said...

the problem of maid is the same everywhere and i think we should giv a bow to all mummies,aunties and badi mummies that they let us do what we want to do...and lawn tennis is a pretty interesting game....you wil surely enjoy it...n sometimes its fun helping out mum in their work...seriously

Samir said...

ur post gives me a sense of deja vu coz i went through the same phase of self realisation a few months back..

About the same time last year i was boasting to my mom that she should be proud of me coz i, unlike other guys, knew a lot about household chores. She just shrugged and said, "its no big deal." Towards the end of our conversation i argued that all these chores like cooking and cleaning arent as great as u make it out to be.. She just smiled and went away. I wasnt all that impressed.

What transpired in the next 6 months changed it all. Mom fell ill and was bedridden for 4 months, n i was left fending for myself and mom. Dad wanted to help me but he had his job and could ill afford such a long leave. In short i got a chance to prove i was right.. But boy was i wrong!! Those 4 months made me realise that cooking and cleaning once in a blue moon indeed isnt such a big deal. But doin the same thing day in and day out, whether i was in a mood to do it or not, was surely a big deal. I also found that i hardly had any time for thinking bout any other work other than what to cook n when to clean. I realised how efficient mom was in handling all the work i thought was petty. To add to it she even found time to carry on with her job, all this without the help of any maid, n that too for 25 yrs continuously!!

That was a good reality check for me.. Well, so tables have turned a bit now that mom is back to her usual self. When i go bout helping her n she thanks me, i smile back and say " its no big deal!!"

Unknown said...

yu are absolutely correct sameer...when we are to do all these things we realize where we are n how big deal it is...its actually a reality check..n i also had a kinda similar incident few months bck...

Nidhi Kalra said...

感谢驻足了很多

tOm said...

Hmmm.... Point taken!! :)

Missing : Mothership

No one warned me that being an immigrant meant being stuck in time.  My life is anything but simple. But my life has hardly ever been what i...