Thursday, January 28, 2010

Being Independent... Part 4

Next day the black lady called up fuming. She was receiving calls from people who wanted their parcels picked up from their doorsteps for just a pound! She fought with A. A was furious.

A - You handle this female whichever way you want.

The lady called up again. I spoke to her, apologized. She asked for a waiver of 100 pounds on the next ad. I consulted A. She walked straight to P's cabin. I could see my hopes sinking down. She came out of the cabin and asked me to go inside.

P - We kept you here thinking you could bring us business. And you are getting A into trouble.

Me - I have invested most of my time procuring payments from her clients. You can check with Akash bhai, I have got more then 3000 pounds back in about three weeks.

P - You were not hired for this. You had to bring business. You have not done your job. I am sorry, we can't keep you. You may leave. You'll be paid 100 pounds as promised.

I was angry, my mouth had gone dry and I dint give a damn.

Me - You promised a hundred and fifty.

P - Whatever it is. Akash will give you the check. You can take your stuff and go now. Thank you.

Me - Thank you.

I bid goodbye to everyone. Left the place. I cried again. I felt helpless. Sitting on a bench, outside Stratford station, in the rush hour, I called dad.

Dad - Nidha, bitia.. this is the advertising world. Aisa hota hai. You cannot afford mistakes in such a competitive place. You were unlucky to be under that female. And you did make a few mistakes. You are still very naive for being here. But its alright. Cheer up. Take this as a lesson and move forward. Try finding another job soon. And remember this is not the end of the world. We are always there for you. I spoke to ma after that. She cried. I managed to calm her down.

I went home, told S everything. He cheered me up and we went on our usual long walks after dinner. I was jobless now. I stayed home for the next few days. Only during these time I realised I was living with a bunch of males. Some really ridiculous, brainless gits. There was one who fought with me every morning for going to the loo. There was one that hated to see me make my chai every morning. There was another who smelled so horrible, even the pigs would faint and the rest were non-existent. Poor S texted me during his work hours and called me a few times in his break times. He started coming early because he knew I would get bored.

I spent my days working on my assignments. In the day time when all the boys went to work I sat downstairs in the TV room. On one such day, my landlord came home. He told me he'd got someone to repair the phone wires. The other guy stayed outside the house while we both chatted.

L - You dont work?

Me - Not right now. I am busy working on some assignments.

L - Dont you get bored being alone here.

Me - Not really. There is so much to do.

L - Vaise you must be having a boyfriend. You're so beautiful.

Me - Ugh uh.. He he..

I had no idea how it happened, but in a flip second he came really close to me and ran his fingers through my cheek. My reflexes were slow. Still I somehow managed to push him back. I shouted at him and asked him to leave. He laughed it off and said 'Why you getting so angry. I'm leaving.' I was trembling with rage. I felt stupid, miserable, horrible and lost. I decided there and then that I'd leave. I couldn't stay there any longer.

I moved into a new place with friends I knew from Ahmedabad. R, A and P. They were my age, all working. They went to work in the day time while I stayed back home, studied, completed my assignments and surfed the internet. In the evenings I spent time with them watching movies or simply chit chatting. I was enjoying myself there. I felt much better than I had in the last few months.

But my stay here was fated not to last long. The owner of the house wanted me out of the house for reasons I couldn't comprehend. He tried playing dirty politics with me and once again I couldn't tolerate shit. I confronted him and he denied everything he had said. It was me against the rest staying in that house. It was horrible. I locked myself inside the little room until I found myself another house. The house owner had given me 15 days notice to move out. I shifted within a week.

August 2008 - Sep 2008

The new place belonged to a patel family. A young girl, his husband who was a decade older to her and a foot shorter than her and their 14 month old kid. On the first morning, I was annoyed to see the female come inside my room and watch tv at 8 in the morning!! I wanted to tell her to go away but going by my previous days events, I wanted to take it slow. As time passed I noticed that this lady made nothing but dal dhokli, alu ki sabzi, khichdi and theplas. I helped her knead the dough even when I was not supposed to do it. She did not let me wash my clothes whenever I would wish. She would say the electricity bill soars if the machine is used too often. There were days when she dint make food. I would sleep hungry or just have biscuits and water.

This is where I got myself a job in Macdonalds. It had mostly Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Indians. Macdonalds was a great learning place. I worked for more than ten hours everyday. The pay was good and the money came in every fortnight. The people here had become friends. I remember one guy especially, Junaid. A very hard working, sincere looking boy. We spent alot of time on the till and were together during the closing hours. We talked about our lives back in our countries. It was great hanging out with him. The people in our shifts had even started doubting whether something was going on between us. I couldn't care less. I needed good company and he was a great one.

Because I spent more time at work and less time at home, I did not have to put up with my landlord. But she was a smart woman. She saw I worked long hours. And long hours meant more money. So one fine day when I came home she said she'd raise my rent.

Me - And why is that?

L - Because the electricity bill has doubled and we cant afford it.

Me - Then dont watch so much tv.

L - He he very funny. But if you are staying here you are paying me ten pounds more every week.

Me - And what for? For a bed and internet connection huh? More than half of my room is covered with your junk. When we finalised the deal, I was supposed to be living in the big room which now you have shifted in. You promised me food which you dont cook so many times and even if you do it is nothing different than khichdi. I do not pay you money for a bed, internet connection and khichdi.

L - The go find someother place!

Me - Yeah, why dont you find me one. Do whatever, I am not emptying this place.

I stormed out of the kitchen and banged my door shut. A few minutes later I went inside the kitchen to put my clothes to wash. After I had left I heard some clicks inside the kitchen again. I knew it was her. I went to check again. Yeah.. the bitch had thrown my clothes out and had put hers in. I was about to throw hers out and put my in when she barged in.

L - Don't you dare..

I threw her stuff out on the floor and looked at her sarcastically.

Me - I just did.

She called her husband for help. The loser did not have the required balls. He had expressions of someone who was stuck with the dame and had no option out. I pitied him but still continued screaming at his wife. By this time I was sitting at the fridge door, opening it to get some food. I was shouting back at her, opening the door and putting my hand inside the fridge to get my yoghurt out. I had been groping for it but because my hand dint land on it I turned a little to locate it.

In that split second something else happened which was more shocking than the ex-ex-landlord episode. The bitch slapped me. Her big stubby fingers hit hard on my right cheek and right side of the neck. Her nails gnaw under my lip, on my cheek and even a bit on the neck. I was bleeding. I was shocked but in my senses. I got up and hit her back. She was a hefty female. We were pawing at each other. Her husband came in then and pulled us apart. I ran to my room and called my dad up and on his suggestion, I called my aunt. Aunt was on her way to pick me up. I emptied the cupboards, packed my laptop, my vessels and my laundry clothes and put all of it my suitcase.

Meanwhile I waited, I called up the cops. I told them what happened. They said they would be there but it would take time. Aunt arrived and we left. The husband helped us get the luggage down. He apologized for his wife's behavior. I was too angry to forgive anyone then.

My life had come a full circle. I came back to where I had first left.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

never imagined you had gone through all this during your stay in london...And we chatted frequntly during that time too but never had even the slightest hint that anything of that sort happened to you...After reading all this i would just stay that you are a damn tough girl and my respect for you has just increased evn more..keep on writing...

Nitin said...

.. Brave-heart!! its unbelievable and scary. You need some guts coming out of this shit and mess; you were always a fighter.. i m so proud of you(in fact all of your regular blog followers will agree to this)..every incidence mentioned here ...is right there on you palm.. remember Ikobo lunch :)... trust me, life has taken a different turn now, your future is BRIGHT!! You are in safe hands now.. hugs :)

Samir said...

This seriously is unbelievable. To say that it is shocking would be an understatement. I mean yeah, i know that life isn't exactly a cakewalk, but this is like taking it a bit too far. But yes, life can be cruel at times, and at times, downright ugly. One freaking missed line in a dumb ad is all it took to set the ball rolling! DAMN! Looking at the brighter side,I think you probably were destined to meet your quota of the sick, twisted, selfish, manipulative, lecherous, sadistic people all together, during those 3-4 months. I don't think such a series of events can ever happen again.

Lekin manna padega yaar, you've got guts girl!! Those events did manage to bring out the fighter in you, both figuratively and literally. :P Though I do sincerely hope you don't need to use either of those qualities ever again.

As an afterthought, I'd like to add that, judging by what you wrote, I dont agree with the part where you describe the other landlord (L's husband) as a loser. A guy who tries to maintain some sanity when tempers are flying high all around, and who knows that what happened was wrong, but circumstances prevent him from supporting the right person doesn't quite classify as a loser in my books. :)

Anonymous said...

Zor ka Jhatka Dheere Se Lage... n correction it was Aug-2008- Sep 2008

Anonymous said...

Well...my friend learned a very good lesson of being independent.....

Indpendence doesnt come easily...if it had been then Gandhiji would never have worked hard for it....

Taking examples....my beautiful friend was hungry and went on with biscuits and water cause that was all she had....look at Gandhiji....he gave up everything and lived on what he had at that point of time...just to get what he wanted...INDEPENDENCE......

Lesson learnt...to get something you really have to sacrifice on something... :)

Lesson number two for my friend...Things once done should be not thought about but only realised....if it had not been the Realisation of Independence....then the story right now in her life would be different....

Lastly the lesson number three.....for all the guys who read this beautiful blog....If you are not comfortable with anything....either leave it or try to change it....The first option looks always easy....but the second option comes with Tight slaps ..... but surely YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THINGS....always remember and believe that... :)

Keep smiling and blogging...:)

nidhi said...

N - Hmmm.. you now know the exact thing.Life has taken a different turn and I am more than happy to welcome all the changes..even the bad ones.. because I have overcome my naivity to a large extent and that has helped a lot.

Samir - Yeah man, this is all for real..infact there is a whole lot of things that I havent written here about. But like you said, that was an ugly phase. Had I been calmer I would have done things differently but I reckon I had to go through all that to arrive at where I am now.
About the landlord.. i dint call him a loser because he was mum. I referred to him so because he was there from the time the argument hit off, he was there when his wife threw away my clothes,infact he was there everyday seeing what she did and never had the guts to tell her anything.
Maybe this happens but even after she hit me, he did not say anything to her and when aunt arrived he made a sorry face and helped me with the luggage. It was guilt which led him to do that.. And I was expecting some smart handling from a man as old as him!!! And he was not sane..he was panic stricken and speechless with his wife's behaviour!!!

Now when I look back, I dont feel anything against any of that.. not just him or his wife..simply the UK episode.. it happened, its past and its harmless. I wont say it can be erased but I can choose not to make it a part of me and I have just done that.

Anonymous - although my virtual presence was negligible during that time and spoke with only a handful, I still cannot recollect your name.. you mind telling me who you are? It'd be appreciated :)

Unknown said...

hey didi anonymous is me only...dnt knw y i wrote that comment wid d anonymous tag but tab jo laga vaisa kr diya...btw saari comments mein ek baat likhna bhul gya...""jahanpana tussi great ho""""

nidhi said...

Nikhle - he he :P

Missing : Mothership

No one warned me that being an immigrant meant being stuck in time.  My life is anything but simple. But my life has hardly ever been what i...