Monday, October 26, 2009

Getting candid

What would life be without boys and importantly best friends to discuss boys with! If I run through conversations between me Aditi and Cheentie, over the past decade our talks have been 80% boy issues and 20% studies, career, parents(mums specially) and the rest of the world.

These days however our guy talks dont limit to who looks how and who suits who best. It has rather taken a serious upturn. We discuss marriages and wonder too loudly about life partners; these aliens who wud come and claim their rights on us. This is how we start :

Cheentie - I to can't see myself married. Is it even worth?

Looks at aditi who has a confused expression on her face. Turns to me and as usual my verbal diarrhoae gets the better of me

Me : You and me are sailing in the same boat. The thought of marriage gives me creeps. I mean this whole thing of knowing someone knew, letting him inside your comfort zone and then thinking about him the whole day is sooo tedious man. I am allergic to bindings.

Aditi : Hmmm... playing with her fringes, holding a few strands in her hand and looking almost squint.

Nidhi : And even the fact ke what I want in life, how I have set my priorities in life, will he understand? What if he is doesn't agree to the same things as I do?

Aditi : Its not even about agreeing to the same things. It is more of how much he understands.

Nidhi : Yes actually bahot samajhdar hoga to bhi problem hai.

Aditi : Haan bichara.. tu mil gayi to fir ho gaya uska. Smiles wide as I punch her and takes a serious tone.. I guess we need to think a lot before taking this plunge. Its the question of our whole life.

Cheentie : Its such a complicated thing nai? Her forehead in her hands. But for how long can we keep our folks hanging?

Me and Aditi both fell silent. She continued...

Cheentie : I mean I am just not mentally prepared for this marriage and sooner or later the family pressure is going to build on. I want to tell them I will never get married.

The philosophical me has taken over. I try explaining.

Nidhi : But isn't it equally true that in the long run we will need a companion.

Aditi : Yes. Nidhi I think relationships are what we make of them... We visualise too much of negations, a hitler saas and a dumbf#@$% for a husband. Hamari choice itni buri bhi to nahi.

Nidhi : Haan pata hai kitni acchhi hai. Aditi in her mind runs through her crushes and love interests and agrees silently. Show me one who is worth looking at, forget talking. The problem is we can make friends but not think beyond that.

Aditi : The problem is us. We are too fussy.

Cheentie : But this is about our life. How can you just let anyone take charge of it?

Aditi : Yes but are we open to proposals? And we live in our own fantasy lands. Just think we don't even have anyone else except each other. What boys huh? We talking as if pata nahi kitni badi line lagi hui hai.

I cut her saying ofcourse lagi hui hai. Just give a nod to your parents and see how people die to get married to you.

She makes a face saying yeah right and brings me back to earth. Honey just in case you have forgotten let me remind you our parents have sent our pics to some boys and they have not got back to us...yet

My expression changes at the realisation of this fact and I have to agree with what she says.

She continues in full form. We aint no hoor paris. Yeh galat femi rakhna mat.

Offended, I say but we are better than others. Infact too good for most of the people around us.

She again gives me a 'yeah right' expression. And I ignore her.

Me : Cheentie what do you think? Aint we good enough? Smile just like :D

Cheentie has to agree, aakhir izzat ka sawal hai. WInks at me and we give a hi-fi to each other. Aditi screws her face.

Cheentie : Haan ofcourse. Ladke to hum par marte hain.

Aditi : Haan am seeing a long line outside my door. The sarcasm is evident.

I pretend to look outside the balcony.

Me : And look here... Oh woh last wale ka sir dikh raha hai. Uff can't handle so much of attention.

I fan an invisible fan just like a Hollywood actress. Cheentie gets up and does the same. Aditi, the lazier one keeps lying and looks at both of us and laughs. Cheentie makes some actress like poses falls on the bed laughing. I cup my mouth with my hands and we three giggle for the next one minute. Bitty, Aditi's baby sis comes in and tells us off for disturbing her.(imagine she is 5 years younger to all of us!). We say sorry and Cheentie gets up to close the door a little tighter. Aditi tells her to tell Bitty to get some water from the fridge. Bitty hears it and shoots back before Cheenties has a chance to pass on the message 'Ask one of those boys in the lines to get it for you maharanis. I am studying.'

We three fall back on the bed, half on each other and resume doing what we are best at giggling!!! :P

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahhahah!!!
rofl.....hahahah!!my sis is the heroine here..and the last guy in the "long line" the show stealer!!hahahahhaha
baby..mwwaahh!!
to our day dreamin!!

Unknown said...

hahahahahahhaah

Unknown said...

aditi didi apna naam kyun nhi likhte??

nidhi said...

usse pata hi nahi hoga ke naam bhi likha ja sakta hai ya to she is lazy to write. Latter hone ke zaada chances hain!

Ramesh said...

ha ha ha.thats nice.so theatrical,but was really nice.enjoy reading that.

Anonymous said...

The last para was the best !

deepika aka cheentie said...

Damn! I have read this like 100'ssss time... and everytimes i laugh more n even more... OMG! Bitty...hahahaha...usko tu mast beech mai leke aayi! haila...tum logo ko milne ka mann kar raha hai mera! saath giggle kiye kitna time ho gaya na!

Missing : Mothership

No one warned me that being an immigrant meant being stuck in time.  My life is anything but simple. But my life has hardly ever been what i...